Today has been quite the happy day. We are celebrating the birth of my new niece, Caroline Elizabeth, who arrived early this morning. I can hardly wait to meet her.
And, at long last, I've finished Thea's Halloween costume. Tomorrow, she'll be dressed as Little Red Riding Hood.
It's my first attempt at a dress. It's certainly not perfect, but I'm pleased with the way it turned out. And in the process, I've learned so many things - not only about sewing, but about myself too. More on that another day.
Here's the dress:
The dress is a modified version of the simple dress pattern in Lotta Jansdotter's Simple Sewing for Baby. The original pattern turned out to be a bit too short, so I added the band of red fabric at the bottom. On Thea, it's a bit longer than I had planned, but maybe she'll be able to wear it during the next warm season.
Of course, a Little Red Riding Hood costume wouldn't be much of a costume without a sweet little cape. Thea's is made of a fine wale red corduroy with a cotton lining. It's from this pattern at Martha Stewart online. I haven't been able to get a great shot of her wearing the finished cape, but here's a little peek.
I hope you have a fun weekend!